The Shelburne Nursery School's mission is to provide a safe and
nurturing environment, which encourages children to develop socially,
emotionally, intellectually and physically.
The Shelburne Nursery
School believes strongly in the development of
the total child. We feel the child's physical, emotional, social and
intellectual development is equally important. In a relaxed, accepting
atmosphere, children discover, interpret and define meaningful concepts
necessary for future academic and social success.
Many opportunities are provided for sharing and cooperative play. Children are encouraged to learn to accept themselves and others while learning to live within the norms of a social situation in society.
The program is a multi-disciplined approach that has been carefully
planned to meet the needs of the developing child. Materials have been
specifically selected to help each student reach his or her fullest
potential. Block building, role-playing, cooking, sand and water play
provide opportunities for your
child's creative expression. The
curriculum includes pre-academics, gross and fine motor activities, and
directed and creative experiences in art, music and physical education.
The goals for the school are to provide an environment for each
to grow socially, intellectually, and emotionally, while meeting the
needs and interest of the individual child. The school strives to
each student’s individual skills at an appropriate pace for that child,
allowing him or her to move forward towards personal growth.
- To embrace each child's uniqueness
- To foster a positive self-image while respecting diversity in student, their families and
- To build relationships based on trust and respect
- To help the children learn self-control and how to express their needs in a positive and
socially acceptable way
- To help the children grow in all areas of development
- To support each child in the context of their family, their family's culture, the community
- To develop a curriculum that will meet these goals